I didn't playing MMOs because they sucked, quite the opposite.  I liked them
a bit TOO much, and I just don't have room in my current life for the time
commitment they require.  i still have some very fond memories.

Running a guild in a MUD in college (Dragons, Legends and Lore) and spending
days working through the hardest area.  It was this massive tower with a
Royal family, and there were somewhere around 15 secret doors you had to
find by reading room clues to get all the way to the top and find out what's
really going on.

Being part of an all-night 100-person raiding part in DAOC and taking the
last treasure fort.  Tanking in Darkness Falls and seeing a party run by
followed closely by thatT huge Prince dude with the wings and his entourage
in hot pursuit.

Sitting on a hill overlooking a 700-person battle for a bridge and an island
in Planetside, with tanks and bombers and mechs everywhere.  Could almost
smell the napalm.

Llama hunting with a bunch of friends and disc shooters in Tribes 2, and
hitting that perfect cap run where everything from flag grab to the escape
is one long glide.

Taking our time to work through the entire Temple of Atal'hakkar in WoW with
some close friends in one sitting and appreciating the little details the
designers put in.

Brian Weeden
Technical Advisor
Secure World Foundation <http://www.secureworldfoundation.org>