Good info in that link except the PDF for "memory hole" is very dated (2004) only hinting at what is now the norm:

"Work is being done by the BIOS and/or chip manufacturers that will either remap physical memory or move device address space in order to eliminate the hole. This memory hole may be a thing of the past soon."

The MS link I posted I think covers it all including expectations & solutions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

Meanwhile KB929580 conflicts with KB929605 stated need for x64 OS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929580

"This problem occurs because the address space is limited to 4 GB in a 32-bit hardware environment. Memory may be relocated to make room for addresses that the basic input/output system (BIOS) reserves for hardware. However, because of this limitation, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008 cannot access memory that is relocated above the 4 GB boundary."

*But then goes on to say*:

"A 32-bit operating system can address memory that is relocated above the 4 GB boundary if the following conditions are true:

    * The computer is in Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode.
    * The computer has 4 GB of RAM.

In this case, the operating system correctly reports how much memory is
installed."

Lastly, a break down of memory limits by OS: