Look in the resource monitor...you can see exactly how your physical memory is used...

Mine:

Available 5325MB
Cached 3731MB
Total   8190MB
Installed 8192MB

Then it shows another catagory referred to as "hardware reserved". On my system this amount is 2MB. Look at the difference between total and installed. 2MB.

There is further breakdown given but I'm too lazy to type all that...

But the fact is on a 64bit OS with the right CPU and chipset, you can essentially use all that ram...with some exceptions, obviously. But more physical RAM still means more available ram.