Yes. You can use pfSense as an access point I think, but that really isn't
its purpose. It is designed to be a firewall and/or router first and
foremost. If you did implement one, you'd probably want to take any existing
device that you have performing routing/firewall/NAT duties and disable
those functions.

You could configure pfSense as a transparent firewall in front of or behind
your existing router, but that's honestly not going to provide a great deal
of value in most implementations.