My comment wasn't fair? I was only agreeing with Anand and we'll see if the cost savings from the latest die shrinks get passed along this year. I suspect they won't..

On Sat, 22 May 2010 10:25:06 -0500, Greg Sevart <ad...@xfury.net> wrote:

I should have more carefully stated that 25nm NAND (or 20nm class in
general) is not available in any SSD yet rather than state that it isn't
available in general. However, I was trying to point out that your comment
that "Even with the recent die shrink from Intel/Micron and Samsung they
haven't passed along the savings to consumers yet" isn't really fair, since
none of the 20nm class NAND is actually shipping in finished SSD products
yet. It remains to be seen if the die shrink and resultant cost reduction
will be passed along to consumers. I strongly suspect it will be--the market
has really grown quite competitive.

Agreed that it's likely to be 2011 or 2012 before SSDs really enter the big
time for most consumers.

-----Original Message-----
From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com [mailto:hardware-
boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Scoobydo
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2010 10:01 AM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] Greg what do you think of this SSD?

Oh I agree completely that we end user won't see anything for several
months yet. I just wanted to point out that 25nm NAND flash exists right
now
and is being shipped in volume from IM's FAB in Idaho. 25nm is real now
but
that's still not small enough. I tend to agree with Anand that
2010 is not the year of the solid state drive. Big time market penetration
will
be next year or the year after and I can't wait till the price drops
through the
floor. Only then will the last piece of ancient PC tech begin to die off.
Well
except for optical drives that is..