I haven't seen this type of behavior on my systems (WinXP/SP2), but the TechRepublic article I'm linking to says that it is standard behavior for System Restore to save every 24 hours. Who knew?

The article also provides registry tweaks to set your own frequency and get around the 24 hour cycle.

Recover From a Crash With XP's System Restore - http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1040596.html

Mike