Comments inline:

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 02:56:09PM -0400, DSinc wrote:
> I have a very nice, perhaps, antique, W2K server.  It trucks on just
> fine ATM. Certainly I can not afford to replace it with current new
> hardware.  Yes, I can just retire/junk it!  Might lower my yearly KVM
> bill even.  I just do not see why ATM...
>
> My server is now behind. NOMO MS security business. ...Understand EOL in
> all of its' interpretations. Please do not preach!
>
> My Server's OS is EOL.  Fine. I do not believe my Server hdw is EOL by a
> long shot.  Well, unless the collective convinces me otherwise!  I am
> willing to listen; if focused upon my project at hand.
>
> I would like to upgrade the base server hdw to WinXP.  I believe I know
> what I need to do with all the data on the on-board RAID-5.  The RAID-5
> is SCSI U160 SC80.  Yes, it can be fully retired.........(tired of
> buying disks and paying "TIM" tickets when I goof, or, another goof
> happens..... :)
>
> I am thinking of :
>
> a- yanking the Adaptec 3200S SCSI RAID card.  To be replaced w/some form
> of SATA RAID card.  My recent research tells me the WinXP might
> recognize this old card any longer?
>
> SO, (Stop lalughing, Bryan!)
>
> b. I will wash/retire all 5 of my SC80 18MB (10-15Krpm) hard drives.
> Suitable SATA replacement will be purchased......(I knew this day would
> come!)

Hmm... Sata raid isnt a bad choice as long as you get a decent controller.
3Ware isn't a bad bet
for consumer applications.  The only issue is, what type of PCI slots do you
have, certainly no PCI-E.
Any PCI-X ?  That being said, the cheapest PCI-X 3ware on newegg was only 4
ports @ $309.

3Ware:
PCI-X:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116052

Areca:
PCI-X:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816131001

Adaptec:
PCI-X:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816103009

On the lower end you have:

PCI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115030

> d. Installing my current WinXP O/S.  Pray that IT may sorta do some
> Server duties.......?

Depends on what you need... for a simple file server, XP is probably fine.

> Please do not preach Vista at me.
Hell no.

> Please do not preach Win7 at me. That is a possibility only if I hit
> some lottery!

Hell no for a server, I actually like it on a modern desktop though.

> I may consider Debian Linux....(except I fear the learning curve ATM!)

It's higher than you probably want/need, unless you have someone local to teach.

--

Bryan G. Seitz