So we need to at least support gcc. It ain't the best but its ubiquitous. If someone so motivated wants to maintain MSVC compatibility they should be encouraged. No policy is necessary as the first is implied in the project mission. It is obvious however that strictly supporting Intel/MSVC/etc compilers is contra to the project's mission (since that would tie us to particular platforms/processors/vendors).

-andy