On 2/16/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir <at> pobox.com> wrote:

> Stepan Mishura wrote:
> > Did anybody think of creating a 'global' (i.e. shared by all modules)
> > exclude list or every module will have its own exclude list? Or Harmony
> > tests will always pass and we don't need it at all :-)
>
> That would be the goal :)
>
> > I see at least the following benefits of creating 'global' exclude list:
> all
> > know issues are kept in one well known place (they don't spread between
> > several private lists)
>
> That's true, but....  I always imagined that people would be working in
> the modules anyway, so there isn't much gain.
>
> also it is easier to create an exclude list for a
> > target platform, for example, linux.exclude or win.exclude.
>
> Yes, that could be.  Interesting idea.
>
> However, I did imagine that we'd give the modules a bit of freedom and
> independence for testing - a global exclude list might impact that?

I think we won't restrict freedom too much if we ask update only one list.
And I believe it won't be updated too often that may cause frequent conflict
resolution.
Also the global exclude list may be useful to understand impact of a bug,
for example, we may organize its entries in the following way:

<!-- HARMONY-NNN, summary : a bug in luni module -->
<exclude name="java/lang/SomeTest.java"/>
<exclude name="java/security/SomeTest.java"/>
<exclude name="java/nio/SomeTest.java"/>
<exclude name="java/text/SomeTest.java"/>

<!-- HARMONY-ZZZ, summary : a bug in auth module -->
<exclude name="javax/security/auth/SomeTest.java"/>

Thanks,
Stepan

geir

> > Thoughts?