Lots of potential projects in the tools area too:

    javadoc is still out there as a juicy project
    we discussed a while ago,

    rmic/d/registry, jar, policytool, jconsole, etc.
    something for everyone and a good variety of effort
    required for these.

Performance analysis, as broad or narrow as you choose,

Some well-defined development tasks, such as JNDI providers, PRNG for
validating signed JARs, pack200 algorithm, etc.

There is a long list of things we could suggest.

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Google again is running their "Summer Of Code"
> http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html program, and I think it would
> be great for the Harmony project to take advantage of it, assuming we
> can find willing students.
>
> If you are unfamiliar with the program, the goal is to allow computer
> science students to work in their chosen field during the summer while
> at the same time assisting open source organizations and projcets.  The
> idea is that students and mentors propose and deliver completed projects
>  in open source.  For this, the student is paid a stipend. Additionally,
> the mentor receives a small stipend as well.
>
> In our case, the official mentor will be the ASF.
>
> There is an ASF wiki site for this :
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2006
>
> Lets agree on projects here first.
>
> Ideas?