On 8 June 2006 at 8:34, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > On 8 June 2006 at 7:01, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> I'm +1 except I'd like to see us get to the point where we can
> >>
> >> - produce a full snapshot of classlib + VM (using DRLVM or JCHEVM or
> >> whatever)
> >
> > I agree.  I'd quite like to see a snapshot with a "free" vm and as much
> > of the classlib as possible preferably awt/swing and mx4j (anyone looked
> > at HARMONY-560? Comments?).
> >
> > If it is acceptable, I'd very much like to create some snapshots in the
> > form of debian and rpm packages to see if we can encourage the masses
> > to give Harmony a try.
>
> YEAH!
>
> > (At the moment I think these packages might
> > be pretty fat since we don't do much to make use of locally installed
> > packages for things like zlib, libpng, liblcms, etc.  But I still think
> > this (packaging) is worth doing and I'm prepared to work on trimming the
> > fat later.)
>
> Cool - getting those started would be cool, and we just evolve them.
>
> How does it work "in real life"?  Are there linux packaging 'czars'
> that we might convince to start making these regularly available?

When the time comes, I think we could find a Debian Developer sponsor
without too much trouble but they are going to tell us to "go away"
until we start behaving slightly more reasonably with respect to
dependencies.  That is, using what is already installed rather than
including them.

Not sure what the process is like for RPM-based packages but I'm sure
they'll have the same issues about any "official" distribution packages.

In the meantime, we could just host raw packages or (more work) create
apt/yum repositories.  I think we'll have to do it ourselves at least
until we get a little closer to world domination. ;-)

(Aside: I'm not criticising the choice to use static or
download-and-build dependencies.  This is a sound pragmatic choice at
this stage.  It's just not a good way to fit in when we want wider
acceptance.)

I have a few ideas for how we can start to do this better on Linux.
I've no idea about Windows but I suspect the bar for what it acceptable
is a little lower there.

Regards,
 Mark.