On 8 June 2006 at 11:54, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> > Mark,
> >
> > I understand your concerns about static linking of the large number
> > of the libraries... We thought about this too...
> >
> > But we decided that for now it is the best way: we have to manage
> > only few libraries inside the Harmony deploy directory... Which is
> > changing its contents so often :)

Alexey, as I said, I understand that this was a pragmatic choice and
we've made similar choices elsewhere.

> I was holding my tongue on marks post

I think we agree?

> - lets not waste too much time discussing the dependencies.  Certainly
> for distributions, we'll bundle them in where appropriate (like a
> tarball), or not (like an rpm where the deps can be specified as part
> of the delivery system)

Yeah.  That's reasonable.  It might actually need a little support from
the build system(s) to handle the 'deps' behaviour - because we are
statically linking things that would be better linked dynamicall - but
I'm happy to help with that when the time comes.

Regards,
 Mark.