On 6/24/06, Andrew Zhang wrote:

Welldone stepan!

I have a small question about the sample from serialization page[1]:

public void testSerializationCompatibility()
       throws Exception {

   SerializationTest.verifyGolden(new SomeSerializableClass());
}

Any argument for  ****.golden.ser?  Typing error?

Good catch! I missed 'TestCase' param in the example - fixed in r417133.

Thanks,
Stepan.

Thanks!

http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/ser_testing.html

> On 6/20/06, Stepan Mishura  wrote:
> >
> >  Hi,
> >
> > I'm going to start merging existing frameworks for testing
> serialization.
> >
> > As first step I've updated 'security' framework. The updated framework
> > searches and loads resource files according [1] and eliminates
> requirement
> > to extend SerializationTest. Also to provide smooth frameworks merging
> I've
> > put stub to let the framework search resources in the 'old' way ( i.e.
> via
> > "RESOURCE_DIR" system property). The stub will be removed after
> completing
> > the merge.
> >
> > The updated framework suggests the following way for testing
> > serialization:
> >
> > a) Compatibility – 4 new static methods are introduced.
> >     verifyGolden(TestCase, Object)
> >     verifyGolden(TestCase, Object, SerializableAssert)
> >     verifyGolden(TestCase, Object[])
> >     verifyGolden(TestCase, Object[], SerializableAssert)
> >
> > A test should invoke one of above methods, for example,
> > public void testCompatibility() throws Exception {
> >     SerializationTest.verifyGolden(this, new SomeSerializableClass
());
> > }
> >
> > b) Self-testing: the same as for compatibility – there are 4 new
static
> > methods that should be invoked from a test:
> >     verifySelf(TestCase, Object)
> >     verifySelf(Object, SerializableAssert)
> >     verifySelf(TestCase, Object[])
> >     verifySelf(Object[], SerializableAssert)
> >
> > For example,
> > public void testSelf() throws Exception {
> >     SerializationTest.verifySelf(new SomeSerializableClass(), new
> > MyComparator());
> > }
> >
> > To complete frameworks merging I'd like to suggest the next steps:
> > 2) Reviewing the update and the suggested way for testing
serialization
> by
> > the community. Please let me know if it is acceptable and what can be
> > improved.
> > 3) Replace SerializationTester class with SerializationTest. I'm going
> > add more stubs to let existing tests work in the 'old' way.
> > 4) Adjusting existing serialization tests (moving and renaming
resource
> > files, replacing stubs invocation with new methods)
> > 5) Removing stubs.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stepan Mishura
> > Intel Middleware Products Division