Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Without HARMONY-898, DRLVM segfaults after reading NULL from TLS.
>> Without HARMONY-853, DRLVM segfaults in libhyzlib.so on Linux.
>
> Odd - I don't think I have those problems, since the tests that do run
> pass on my box.  Adding a test to show this would be good.

The hythr issue is not predictable, and may or may not work
properly. I think that you've got correct hythr in deploy directory,
and haven't done any rebuilds since then. Or maybe the build
system chooses which hythr to take in some magic manner,
that I cannot grasp.

The easiest way to reproduce hythr issue on Windows (that's how I've come
across it) is to check out and build fresh classlib, and rebuild
DRLVM incrementally.

In any case, having two hythr.dlls copied to a single locations is
definitely a case of race condition with unpredictable result.

> I'd like to see us figure out the hythr problem, since 898 is a hack to
> just work around what seems to be an important issue.  can we grind this
> one out?

A couple of words in defense of HARMONY-898.
The classlib doesn't depend on a particular hythr implementation.
In fact, it depends on hythr *interface*, which must be implemented
somewhere in the system. At the same time, classlib provides its
own hythr implementation.

DRLVM itself reimplements the subset of hythr interface, thus making
possible interoperation with classlib, but doesn't uses classlib's hythr
implementation.

So, this is not the case of "classlib wants hythr1, and drlvm wants hythr2, and
hythr1 and hythr2 conflicts".
In fact, this is "classlib wants some hythr, and provides hythr1. DLRVM
provides hythr2, and conflicts with hythr1".

Thus, IMHO, the issue is not as important as it may seem, because there is no
issue on "who provides hythr", but there is an issue of competing hythr
implementations,
one of which comes with with DRLVM and works with it, and the other probably
works with J9 (I have never checked it myself).

> The zlib seems reasonable, I guess.

Thanks.