What class are you referring to? The hash value of a String isn't written
during serialization [1]; the String serialization is actually a somewhat
special form. In most other classes that are serializable though, the hash
value generally isn't part of the serialized form.

The serialized form is part of the public contract and we strive to meet all
parts of the public contract, so if you know of specific cases, please log
some issues about them. There are a few exceptional cases, like TimeZone,
that may be incompatible, but those are not the norm.

-Nathan

[1]
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/serialized-form.html#java.lang.Strin