The current state of the IPF code in our codebase is "it won't build". So
there are a lot of things to do before running first test.
And for -every- commit of the IPF code IPF developers plus every commiter
have to check that their changes do not break IA32/EM64T build.
If you even could not built and run a simple Hello World why to keep it in
the main trunk?

So it could be  the question of a policy for any new platform we want
support.
My proposal is to keep it in a separate branch before it can be built and is
not able to run simple tests.

+ Do we have any plans about IPF? I mean "run this application before this
date"?

On 10/13/06, Gregory Shimansky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Friday 13 October 2006 01:37 Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> How about trying to do in main line for now, reserving branch until
needed?

> We'd agree that committers put in the patches and test on supported
> platforms (not IPF) and those doing the IPF work test and adjust as
> necessary.
>
> That way, we at least try to keep one codeline that we know works.  It
> also would "restrict" the freedom of the IPF contributions to stay
> within the bounds of the mainline code, and in the event an architecture
> change is needed to support IPF that would affect other platforms, we
> can talk together.
>
> I volunteer to help with the IPF patches.

+1
I agree with Geir's point of view. Let's resolve the problems in the order
they appear. So far there were no huge changes to the code for IPF
platform
to create a separate branch. Once something like this appears we may
return
to this discussion.

--
Mikhail Fursov