On 11/1/06, Etienne Gagnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Problem
-------
supporting a different API specifications/versions, such as j2me and
j2se1.4, in addition to the "main" version (e.g. j2se1.5)

Solution
--------

This is a trickier problem.  We can divide the problem at two main levels:

1- file/directory level
2- source-code level

At the file/directory level, each version (e.g. j2me, j2se1.4, ...)
might include additional files (relative to the main version), and might
not include some files of the main version.  In other words, j2me might
not contain database APIs.

Managing file inclusion/exclusion can be done in various ways.

Just my $0.02: IMO it's unreal to support J2SE 1.4 & 1.5 in the same source.
Too many differences in the language due to generics. This example needs
branches & weekly manual merges (not a big problem imho)

--
Mikhail Fursov