What's the concern about just using the prescribed branching pattern
for SVN? There are some other nice tricks like "externals" for pulling
in common files into the working copies of other branches (ala the
'concurrent' code in 'standard' that's pulled into 'enhanced' on
checkout). I would propose we at least attempt to go down a path of
investigating a branching.

Regardless, I think we need to settle on our exact requirement first,
before spending too much time on looking for a solution. For example,
if logging is a real requirement, but everyone agrees it can be done
via instrumentation (AspectJ, java.lang.instrument, etc), then are
there any other requirements that affect the actual source files
internally? If not, then could all of the other requirements be
fulfilled by judicious SCM use?

So, I would suggest we back up a little and just layout all of the
requirements first, so we can make sure everyone's in agreement about
the needs.

-Nathan