I appreciate the efforts of Steven Bernstein and others to combat the
inaccuracies of the Encyclopedia of Race and Racism in regard to the
article on Zionism.  However, I must disagree with Aviva Astrinsky
who, in a side comment in this thread, puts the New Testament and the
Protocols of the Elders of Zion in the same category (best sellers
that contain lies).  While the tragic truth is that the New Testament
has been misused over the centuries as a basis for anti-semitism, and
while selected passages seem noxious to our modern ears, a variety of
Jewish and Christian scholars has demonstrated that most of the New
Testament was originally written by Jews, and the problematic
passages were overheated rhetoric (common for the time period)
between rival Jewish sects.  To characterize the New Testament as
containing lies is to misunderstand it in its original cultural and
religious context.  In no way should it be compared to the Protocols
of the Elders of Zion.

Mark Stover
San Diego State University

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]