I think there's a difference, Aaron.

Americans speaking the American dialect still think of themselves as
speaking English.  The Maskilim writing German in Hebrew characters
did not think of themselves as writing Yiddish. In general I think
catalogers try to represent the intention of the author, even if, as
in this case, there's scholarly disagreement about whether German in
Hebrew script counts as German or as Yiddish.

Unless we abandon the idea of Yiddish as a separate language
altogether, i.e., subsuming it as a dialect of German, I don't see
how we can avoid making the distinction for Mendelssohn's Bible
translation (etc.) which was embraced by non-Yiddish speakers as
German literature.

Also, regarding the issue of Jewish self-hatred raised by Martin, I
agree that some of the Maskilim were afflicted with this, but I'm not
sure it matters for cataloging purposes unless we were cataloging a
book that was explicitly *about* Jewish self-hatred.

/ Daniel