From: Nigel Perry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2000 12:54 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Haskell and the NGWS Runtime

We're drifting a bit off Haskell here, but...

At 10:57 am +1000 4/8/00, Kevin Glynn wrote:
>I don't believe this says anything about support for other OS's.  I
>think the devices here are hardware, (PCs, handhelds, phones, fridge
>interfaces, ...)  Of course Microsoft believes that some day, very
>soon, all devices will run (a version of) Windows.  Hence this
>statement refers to Microsoft's announced plans to port .NET to all
>Windows OS's, including WinCE.
>
>Do you have another reference which is more convincing?

I haven't seen a WinCE version but at a recent conference one of the
exhibitors was offering a .NET on WindowsCE course - however when I
inquired they just said "ask MS, we don't know, we just teach the
courses" (somehow I don't think I'll be recommending them!) So that's
not too convincing!

They are talking phones - but that has to be a stripped down version.
However I'm not sure why I want Haskell on my phone ("the phone with
higher-order polymorphic lazy dialing"?)

As to others OSES...

At 10:24 pm -0400 3/8/00, Chris Saunders wrote:
>It seems to me that this .Net thingy is a runtime
>and therefore could potentially be as portable
>as anything from Java.  This runtime just needs
>to be ported to other operating systems similarily
>to the Java runtime.

Porting JVM is a big enough job (you find a lot of "native"
methods...) .NET has more paraphernalia than the JVM so it will be
quite a job. However I think MS is moving to "standardise" the IL
(the byte codes) which I guess is to suggest it is not a moving
target (not the the JVM really is but I hear the lack of JVM 2's has
been blamed on lack of info out of Sun - but that might be just
passing the blame)

At 5:59 pm +0200 3/8/00, Juan J. Quintela wrote:
>nigel> Disclaimer, as Fergus added one: I am working with Microsoft on .NET
>nigel> implementation, but I run Windows 2000 on my G3 PowerBook and take
it
>nigel> to Microsoft with me. I'm biased on everything :-)
>
>Windows 2000 in a G3 Powerbook????? I am lost here :((((((

Why have any other computer when you can have a Mac?

Mine runs:
        DVD Movies
        MacOS
        JVM
        Playstation games
        Windows 95
        Windows 2000 (a bit slugglish)
and could run:
        Linux (but I have no use for it at present)

At 2:07 am +1000 4/8/00, Fergus Henderson wrote:
>         Note that on x86 there are only six general purpose registers,
>         so you very quickly run out...

Who uses the x86? Oh I remember... ;-)

Cheers,
        Nigel
Dr Nigel Perry        Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IIST                  Tel: +64 6 350 5799 2477
Massey University     Fax: +64 6 350 2259
Palmerston North      FTP/WWW: smis-asterix.massey.ac.nz
New Zealand

It makes as much sense to wear a "cycle" style helmet in a car as on a
bike...
Choosing to wear one on a bike but not in a car is mere inconsistency.
Refusing to wear one in a car while insisting others do so on a bike
is pure hypocrisy.

Will the new Labour government repeal the National government's hypocrisy,
or will they insult cyclists' like their predecessors?

        Politics and hypocrisy before safety - the NZ Helmet Law, NZ's Shame