I've been following this discussion, but there are so many new buzzwords
coming out of microsoft that it's a bit confusing for those not
in the know.  Is there a quick way to summarize the relationships
between
        .NET
        NGWS
        C# (which I've discovered is intended to be pronounces C-sharp
            rather than C-hash)
        the .NET virtual machine
        COM
Why does the world need C# when it already has Java and C++?
Why does the world need a .NET virtual machine when it has
dozens of Java Virtual Machines?  Don't COM and Corba already
provide interlanguage and network interoperability? Why is it
important for Haskell to fit into .NET?

I hope this isn't too far off topic.

Cheers,
Theodore Norvell

Dr. Theodore Norvell                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electrical and Computer Engineering         http://www.engr.mun.ca/~theo
Engineering and Applied Science                    Phone: (709) 737-8962
Memorial University of Newfoundland                  Fax: (709) 737-4042
St. John's, NF, Canada, A1B 3X5