Sean O'Rourke wrote:

I like Emacs's solution to this (on a terminal): the user will
eventually type backspace, which pops up a huge, dense, and
ultimately useless meta-help screen.

What are you talking about? XEmacs has an excellent online GUI help system! You go to a menu, and up pops an excellent text buffer with all kinds of useless stuff.

I even found how to enlarge the font there once! Too bad I overshoot a little though - with the new settings, each letter took about 25% of the screen. Which is when an interesting question came to my mind: /just how am I supposed to get back now/, when everything, and I mean *everything*, every bit of text is now rendered in about 3 huge rows and 4 huge columns?

I used vi to shovel through all kinds of .crap and restore the settings.

golem> ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?

I don't even understand why it's so funny, but I'm still laughing while I'm typing this.