* Sean O'Rourke <sorou...@cs.ucsd.edu> [2007-05-21 17:25]:
> David Cantrell <da...@cantrell.org.uk> writes:
> > The big problem with emacs is that it looks like that most
> > unhelpful of "help" systems, GNU info.
>
> Meh, I personally prefer it to a wad of randomly-structured
> HTML,

My ideal looks like this:

* Manpage with usage/synopsis

* For simple software, an overview/examples and full reference
  in the manpage

* For anything complex, a brief reference in the manpage and
  narrative docs written in DocBook or something similar and
  rendered to HTML for perusal

You can generate any number of other useful things out of
DocBook, including PDF. As the sole format it would be hateful,
but as an option for printing it's handy, and that is a nice
thing to be able to do with docs for software complex enough to
need a narrative manual.

Needless to say, very few projects attain this level of
perfection.

The GNU crew openly *refuse* to produce docs you can actually use
(with the sole and lonely exception of the Make manual -- the
only tolerable Info doc I've ever seen).

Regards,