On May 21, 2007, at 11:16 AM, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
* Sean O'Rourke <sorou...@cs.ucsd.edu> [2007-05-21 17:25]:
David Cantrell <da...@cantrell.org.uk> writes:
The big problem with emacs is that it looks like that most
unhelpful of "help" systems, GNU info.

Meh, I personally prefer it to a wad of randomly-structured
HTML,

My ideal looks like this:

* Manpage with usage/synopsis

* For simple software, an overview/examples and full reference
  in the manpage

* For anything complex, a man page *section* for the software, and a copy of man that doesn't freak out over "man tcl canvas" or "man perl commands" or whatever.

* For anything complex, a brief reference in the manpage and
  narrative docs written in DocBook or something similar and
  rendered to HTML for perusal

* When this is considered appropriate, then a man command that runs "groff -Tlatin1 -mWhatever /usr/share/doc/foo/bar.whatever" when you run "man foo bar".

I hate man pages that refer to a document that you can't get to in man.