On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 07:35:46PM +0300, Yossi Kreinin wrote:
> Sean O'Rourke wrote:
> >I like Emacs [yay carefully selective quoting!]
> What are you talking about? XEmacs has an excellent online GUI help system!

The big problem with emacs is that it looks like that most unhelpful of
"help" systems, GNU info.  Xemacs might have fixed that bug I suppose,
but I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.  Anything that combines the
hatefulness of emacs with the hatefulness of X has got to be Just Wrong.

> >golem> ed
> >?
> >help
> >?
> >exit
> >?
> >eat flaming death
> >?
> >^C
> >?
> >^D
> >?
> I don't even understand why it's so funny, but I'm still laughing while I'm
> typing this.

I like ed.  It would be foolish to try to use him as an interactive text
editor, but piping a string of commands to his STDIN is a thing of
beauty, and sometimes works.

  The test of the goodness of a thing is its fitness for use.  If it
  fails on this first test, no amount of ornamentation or finish will
  make it any better, it will only make it more expensive and foolish.
     -- Frank Pick, lecture to the Design and Industries Assoc, 1916