On 2008-01-15, at 13:56, Michael G Schwern wrote:
That would make a project "upgrading" (or downgrading) to version objects impossible -- or at least really noisy -- thus effectively killing the version.pm project. I've seen a lot of projects filled with self-hate, but not enough to strange themselves in the crib.

Uh... good point.

Although thinking about it, since version numbers only make sense within the same project, and since one shouldn't switch back and forth between decimals and versions, and since one is already inclined to think that 1.80 < 1.90.0 they should have just gone ahead and had decimals compare to versions as if they were versions. So that X.YY is the same as X.YY.0 for purposes of comparison.

That sounds like it would probably generate less hate overall.

Though of course we all know there's hate lurking in every decision.