Abigail writes:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 10:01:37AM +0000, Smylers wrote:
>
> > Michael G Schwern writes:
> >
> > > Although thinking about it, since version numbers only make sense
> > > within the same project, and since one shouldn't switch back and
> > > forth between decimals and versions, and since one is already
> > > inclined to think that 1.80 < 1.90.0 they should have ...

Note that Michael is hypothesizing something that didn't happen,
suggesting that it would've been an improvement.  Neither he nor I are
claiming this is how things currently work:

> > > ... just gone ahead and had decimals compare to versions as if
> > > they were versions.  So that X.YY is the same as X.YY.0 for
> > > purposes of comparison.
>
> > * 1.9 < 1.9.1 because the latter being an object triggers upgrading
> > the former to an object equivalent to 1.9.0
>
> But Perl doesn't know 1.9.1 is a version number, and will not
> automagically "upgrade" it to a version number. Not even if you import
> version:

Correct, it doesn't.  We were discussing what the behaviour if perl had
been implemented differently so that it did do that.

Smylers