On 2008-12-31, at 10:23, Joshua Rodman wrote:
The BSD people, whose package management system is pathetically inadequate

This is a use of "inadequate" that I haven't run into before. Usually that implies that it's worse, rather than better, than the system one is advocating.

I'm still digging into RPM and hating it more and more (see my previous hate). The BSD ports system:

* Uses standard file formats for packages, so you don't have to run an obscure and poorly documented "rpmbuild" program that scribbles over the system while it's running to build the package.

* Supports package dependencies cleanly and consistently, so you don't have to play games with meta-package-system-of-the-week. A problem shared by dpkg and RPM both.

* Is well documented.

* Supports automated upgrades, out of the box.

It's not perfect, but compared to what Linux folks have to deal with... ye gods.