* Scott Francis <darkun...@darkuncle.net> [2009-01-01 00:00]:
On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Aaron J. Grier <agr...@poofygoof.com> wrote:
> any examples of linux distributions in which segregation
> between "core OS" and "aftermarket packages" is not an
> ephemeral illusion?

slackware, maybe; I haven't used it in a while, but it _is_ the
most BSD-like of the Linuxes.

No, even Slackware comes as a large batch of packages. It differs
in that Patrick is of the opinion that dependency management is
always broken in some way so the recommended way of running
Slackware is to just install everything. You are free to deviate
from that if you know how to do it without handholding but there
is no handholding if you don't. Works for me.

What Aaron said holds true. The "core OS" concept really requires
that the kernel, system tools and base userland are written by
a coordinated team. Since the Linux kernel does not come with
userland, any OS based on the Linux kernel (or for that matter
reliant on something like the GNU coreutils) by definition does
not have the concept of a vendor core OS.

Regards,