On Jun 26, 2009, at 3:48 AM, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

/me cares much about backups, where precious plugins reside that /do/
work and somehow are not shipped with `better' or `enhanced' versions
of audio-players

At first I thought you were talking about plugins for backup software. On that note...

Back in the day, third-party disk drives for the Mac shipped with proprietary third-party driver software, since Apple's proprietary software refused to touch any drive they didn't ship. APS drives shipped with APS PowerTools, the name for whoever's software they were rebranding as their own.

APS PowerTools 3.5 was made by Prosoft Engineering, and I don't recall any issues with it. But APS PowerTools 4 was a retread of CharisMac's Anubis package. In addition to visual transgressions such as gratuitous use of color and non-standard controls, PowerTools 4 included, I was told, a gaming graphics engine -- licensed at not an insignificant cost, too!

That's all very well, but the fact is that clicking any of their custom controls (e.g. disclosure triangle or demented excuse for a scroll bar) did nothing for an entire half second -- about an order of magnitude too long. I think they missed their calling: writing 'enterprise' software.

Josh