On Jun 26, 2009, at 7:56 PM, Benjamin Reed wrote:

On 6/26/09 5:35 PM, Nicholas Clark wrote:

autoconf, automake and libtool. What more could one need?

Actually, what other non-overlapping software could one legitimately use to
increase the hate?

This reminds me of an April Fools thing I planned on doing but never
executed.

I was going to implement the next generation codebase for /bin/true --
shared library, autoconf/automake/libtool project, language bindings for
everything under the sun.  Oh, also a networking model, so you could
determine truth over a network socket. Of course, you'd have to have an
obvious bug in the protocol so that someone could implement a DDOT
(distributed denial of truth) attack.

Well for starters, it's ridiculous to have separate codebases for / bin/true and /bin/false when they basically do the same thing. Why not combine the two into a single program, true-or-false, which takes a parameter? On the other hand, if a platform already ships with true and false, you may as well reuse them, so true-and-false should exec those if available (as determined by autoconf).

You might also want to consider encrypting the truth, or providing redundant channels, for those who can't handle it.

Josh