On 18 May 2012 22:07, Michael G Schwern <schw...@pobox.com> wrote:
> switch fall through. (still a classic mistake).

I guess you mean defaulting to falling through? Yeah that probably
should have defaulted to the other way, even though C's approach
matches what actually happens. On the other hand i seem to remember
that a  number of modern languages hatefully support a switch
statement but do not support fall through at all. I recently did some
C where I really came to appreciate of the value of switch
fall-through.

Despite all its hateful aspects, and indeed perhaps *because of them*
I find the occasional foray from my comfortable Perl-world to the
harsh and unforgiving terrain of C-land to be quite refreshing. Its
like going camping in the wilderness for a vacation from city life,
rustic, simple, and actually quite pleasant despite the lack of
amenities.

cheers,
Yves