On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Suresh Srinivas <sur...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Todd,
>
> Some of us have been trying to help test and review the code. However you
> might have missed the following, which has resulted in the review not
> completing:
>
> 02/06/13 - After intent for merge was sent, I posted comment saying
> consolidate patch has extraneous changes. That was non trivial amount of
> extraneous changes.

This was just an error with the "consolidate merge patch". Like I said
in the previous email, these patches are just for Jenkins QA to run
on, and I assume that any HDFS committer is able to look at the branch
itself to understand the changes in it. It's easy to accidentally end
up with extraneous changes when you try to generate these merge
patches - eg the same thing happened to you earlier this week on
HADOOP-8562 if I'm not mistaken.

> 02/06/13 - Nicholas posted some comments and also indicated previous
> unaddressed comments.
Colin addressed this feedback on 2/8 in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-4476 . Nicholas chose not
to review the changes (though acknowledged the JIRA on 2/6), so Aaron
committed it a week later.

> 02/15/13 - No update was made to consolidated patch. I stopped reviewing it
> waiting for the new patch. A new patch gets posted on 2/15 and soon after
> merge vote email on 2/17/13 during the long weekend.

Again, all the changes are in the branch. Again I can't imagine trying
to review a merge of a branch by looking at a 400KB patch. They're
just there to trigger Jenkins. It should be the responsibility of
committers to look at the branch itself. Or if you prefer a single
patch, it's trivial to generate one in your local repo.

> At this time, some of the comments that were made earlier have not been
> addressed. Also folks who were reviewing the consolidated patch have not
> posted +1.

It seems like the best way to trigger people actually reviewing
branches is to call merge votes. I would have hoped that people would
review the work as it went along. If we waited for a +1 without
calling a merge vote, this would drag on for months and months. This
is based on my experience with the 3 or 4 branches I've worked on.

> I think we should wait for +1 for the merge patch (from the folks actively
> reviewing the patch) before the merge vote. That might make this process
> smoother. But  I agree, if the changes are deemed to be trivial, we can do
> it post merge to trunk.

The difficulty is defining "actively reviewing the patch". Making 3 or
4 cursory comments once every 2 weeks doesn't look like "active
review" to me. On the other hand, I spent probably 40-50% of my time
over the last month reviewing and testing this branch and have voted
+1.

-Todd