ATM's suggestion of removing HDFS-2246 in trunk, but not branch-2, is
> a rational compromise: it allows some period for others to adapt, but
> not an indefinite one. It's not clear what you're proposing, if
> anything.

I am not sure why a release that supports both these is such a bad idea.
As Nicholas has stated these mechanisms are not mutually exclusive.
I am -1 on removing HDFS-2246. That should be done in a separate jira
and not as a part of HDFS-347. If the concern is the complexity, I have
already suggested some choices on how to simplify it. If maintaining the
code
is a concern, I have also offered to support and maintain it.