Hi Heidi:

Outside of the obvious sacred works, I think it's up to the individual
library to decide what gets treated as a sacred work and what doesn't since
there isn't an official list.  For my money, the Zohar is not a sacred
text.  Important, intriguing, wrapped in mystery and goof-ball Aramaic, and
unmistakably one of Judaism's greatest hits, yes, but not sacred in a
global sense the way the Bible, the Mishnah, the Talmud et al. are.  LC
agrees.  Do a subject search in LC's catalog under "zohar" and you'll
discover that there are 265 instances of 63000 Zohar and only one 63000
Zohar $v Commentaries.

Still, we live in an age of "do what you feel" so whatever you decide is
best for your library is in fact best for your library.

My two cents.

Bob

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 8:47 PM Heidi G Lerner via Heb-naco <
heb-naco@lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question: for purposes of correct application of LC Subject
> Heading Manual and RDA, is the Zohar considered a Sacred work.
>
> Thanks , Heidi
>
> Heidi G. Lerner
>
> Metadata Librarian for Hebraica and Judaica
>
> Metadata Dept.
>
> Stanford University Libraries
>
> Stanford, CA 94305-6004
>
> ph: 650-725-9953
>
> fax: 650-725-1120
>
> e-mail: ler...@stanford.edu

Bob Talbott

Hebraica cataloger/Curatorial Assistant to the Judaica Collection

UC Berkeley

250 Moffitt

Berkeley, CA 94720

Lue musaraba shu biburueada Bilgameshe nam habadabkure.