Discussing it during the summer session is a good idea.  I also suggest the
creation of a working list of sacred works that we can all agree upon,
though I realize this may be problematic.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 8:58 AM Neil Manel Frau-Cortes via Heb-naco <
heb-naco@lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> I think this is a great question, and probably the fruit of applying an
> anglocentric category to a body of literature that doesn't match. We should
> consider if anything we call *sifre kodesh* is actually a sacred text in
> the spirit of the LC category.
>
> That said, even inside of the sphere of *sifre kodesh*, I think that the
> Zohar is major, called *Zohar ha-kadosh, *which is a qualificative we
> don't find applied to many other rabbinic works. This brings me to the
> question: what else is Sacred Texts in our cannon? Other than the Tanakh,
> should we include the Talmud (Mishnah, Tosefta?)? I wouldn't include the
> midrash as a number of rishonim, like Duran, consider it to be holy, yet
> "not to be taken literally." Yet, the Zohar is midrashic in nature. It's
> all a conundrum. If people are interested, perhaps we can talk more about
> that in our RAS Cataloging Summer meeting, since the Winter's agenda is
> already quite full.
>
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 11:47 PM Heidi G Lerner via Heb-naco <
> heb-naco@lists.osu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a question: for purposes of correct application of LC Subject
>> Heading Manual and RDA, is the Zohar considered a Sacred work.
>>
>> Thanks , Heidi
>>
>> Heidi G. Lerner
>>
>> Metadata Librarian for Hebraica and Judaica
>>
>> Metadata Dept.
>>
>> Stanford University Libraries
>>
>> Stanford, CA 94305-6004
>>
>> ph: 650-725-9953
>>
>> fax: 650-725-1120
>>
>> e-mail: ler...@stanford.edu
>>

> --
>
> *Neil M. Frau-Cortes, Ph.D. *(he, him, his)
>
> *Assistant Head, Cataloging & Metadata Services*
>
> *(Metadata Creation & Enhancement)*
>

> University of Maryland
>
> 2200 McKeldin Library
>
> College Park, MD 20742
>
> Phone (301) 405-9337
>
> nf...@umd.edu
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://nfrau@umd.edu__;!!KGKeukY!jYtnOb8uWI7WV0wyVYEe_VK41TmG8bIMrhUlzRu59nZTZEWyByIQkYLCCmrgEJupAd-M$>
>
> ORCID ID:
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1881-1405__;!!KGKeukY!l2XRiO2_k90aGuqMUcqhXCefk3ln2QFnYil4X1STCFG4zX2DSUUpGViB5flJk_ufnYT7$
>
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1881-1405__;!!KGKeukY!jYtnOb8uWI7WV0wyVYEe_VK41TmG8bIMrhUlzRu59nZTZEWyByIQkYLCCmrgEKQwLe3s$>

Bob Talbott

Hebraica cataloger/Curatorial Assistant to the Judaica Collection

UC Berkeley

250 Moffitt

Berkeley, CA 94720

Lue musaraba shu biburueada Bilgameshe nam habadabkure.