When I was a reporter in El Paso for awhile in the mid '80s I visited your
area often, thinking I was going to buy in the forest near Cloudcroft.

I have a number of  concerns with the traditional hexayurt serving as a
permanent year-round dwelling in your area and biggest is its ability to
handle the snowload there. You can get Lakewood-like dumps there. Rare to
get Vail-like dumps, but that whole greater Ruidoso area gets real snow and
a couple times each decade gets huge snow.

Think you can design a hybrid that will work. Haven't proven it yet. But
believe it needs greater roof pitch and strong wall support and substantial
footings and a serious tie-down system.

I wouldn't use a foamboard and tape model there for anything other than a
temporary spring through summer shelter (which might not withstand the
windstorms that happen every  spring and at other times as storms develop or
pass by). Think it would be nicer than a tent while building.

Hope that helps,
ken