I help moderate the VERC Wanted forums and someone recently posted a request
for a programmer to create a database system for an on-line RPG mod using
HL. Now my knowledge of the networking side of HL is somewhere between zero
and minus one but something in my gut says it can't be done. I know that
it's possible to get information from games written to HTML documents (as
some sites display player stats on websites from various games) but is it
possible for a HL server to draw information from a database like a web
server and allow for a designer to create an RPG like leveling system? I
know that it'd be easier to simply store the stats locally in an encoded
file but it's always possible for those to be hacked which is why the person
who posted wants to take this other route.

Any suggestions or advice for me relay to the designer would be most
appreciated.