>> On the other hand, I think it's just a matter of time for Valve to
>> do so. Recurring revenue is king.

>There are other options than pay-per-play to get recurring revenue (I'm
>assuming that pay-per-play means "pay by the minute"). An obvious one
>is a monthly fee like the one used by most MMORPGs.

---

Personally, I would place a monthly subscription fee in the same
catagory as pay-as-you-play. The only real difference is the billing method.

Regarding recuring revenue, the mod community provided recuring revenue
 to Valve through a seemingly endless variety of mods which helped keep
player interest in HL. This gave an impetus for purchasing HL long after
the its initial release. Subscription fees would be a real wet blanket
for HL2 multiplayer gaming.