As much as I hate to admit it, in my eyes, Valve has definitely fallen out
of my favour for purposes of "modding". I think the problem is that the
engine and processes have gotten much more complex than the HL1 days. The
purpose of modding is (well at least I think it is) to give amateur gamers
an avenue to creating games easily and quickly. The Source engine doesn't
fulfill this requirement anymore, learning the tools, asset pipelines and
code (or even C++!) present a large barrier to "getting started". If someone
with minimal experience came up to me right now and asked me how to "learn"
development I would most likely point them in the direction of the Unreal
engine first.

But of course the ability to write your mod in C++ presents lots of
interesting avenues that Unreal Script probably can't compare to. And it is
quite feasible to learn the asset processes but it's very easy to get
discouraged with the time it takes to "make a game" on the Source engine.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM, botman <botman.hlcod...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How DARE you come on to this list and respond with a well thought out
> and reasonable response?  Don't you know this this list is only for
> whiners and n00bs?  GTFO!!1!  :)
>
> On 7/23/2009 7:28 PM, Bob Somers wrote:
> > With all due respect to you guys, I think you're forgetting that
> > ultimately Valve is not in the mod-support business. They're in the
> > business of making their own games, and the success of their titles
> > shows how well they do it.
> >
> > Their tools are designed for the way the workflow happens at Valve,
> > not at your house. They're providing their tools to you as a courtesy.
> > Now, if they want to take suggestions from the community that's great,
> > but ultimately you're getting all their tools for free so it's really
> > "too bad" if they don't work they way you want them to.
> >
> > I'm not well versed in the model compilation process for Source, but
> > there's one thing a command line interface has over a GUI...
> > scriptability. In a big software company, the rule of thumb is that
> > anything that can be automated should be automated. You can't script a
> > GUI (at least, not very easily at all).
> >
> > --Bob
> >

> > On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Saul Rennison<saul.renni...@gmail.com>
>  wrote:
> >> Hell I'm on Summer Holidays, I'll give this a go, although it does
> >> mean I'd have to do texture support which I'm not so great at. But GCF
> >> support is possible via Nemesis' HLlib.
> >>
> >> All replies in this topic bring up good points in the Source Engine,
> >> heres my 2 pence:
> >> I don't agree with the fact Source doesn't have good physics.
> >> Source should move to DAE.
> >> StudioMDL and HLMV should be open-source, leave P4 integration in, we
> >> only need the code / snippets from it.
> >>
> >> There's probably more but I can't be bothered replying.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> -Saul.

> Jeffrey "botman" Broome

Programmer for Resistance and Liberation
www.resistanceandliberation.com
Programmer for Red Tribe
www.redtribe.com