Well that’s old news really. Guess this is the most official it’ll ever be.

If only Valve would release the source code for the tools. Yeah sure it could
be recreated but surely that time is better spend on making actual mods.

 - ScarT

From: Jesse F
Sent: ‎Wednesday‎, ‎May‎ ‎8‎, ‎2013 ‎11‎:‎44‎ ‎PM
To: Discussion of Half-Life Programming

I want enemy behavior to react to voice so client side only isn't enough. Thank
you all for the help.
Nick, I actually had a phone interview with valve in the last few months and
asked directly about their poor support for source engine. The response I got
came down to they aren't interested in sinking a lot of resources to compete
with Unreal and Unity and the other major game engines. Clearly someone
internally has done the math and the cost of of development and upkeep on the
sdk must have worse returns compared with putting the dev time elsewhere. I
didn't get the job, not enough experience, but it was a great conversation and
I have the utmost respect for them. It just sucks for the modders that we
aren't getting the support we want.