Respectfully half of the things in your email have nothing to do with using
source engine. Claiming Valve will go under or Steam will fail (neither of
which strike me as likely) has nothing to do with picking an engine for a
project. There are plenty of people who write their own engines and plenty
of people who use pre-built ones. Which path you choose to should have
nothing to do with how good of a coder you are. It has to do with what kind
of game you are developing, how much you can leverage from existing engines
vs the cost of learning and using the engine vs the cost of building it all
from scratch. You don't re-implement OpenGL because you want more control
of it. The same can be said of physics engines, networking libs, content
loaders, etc. Plenty of devs have everything they need in existing engines
or open source libs, others may require more control and under the hood
tweaking than the engines can provide. Anti-chamber was able to do some
pretty amazing things with the Unreal Engine. They didn't need to spin a
whole engine from scratch. I'm doing this as a hobby separate from my day
job, there is a good chance that I'll need to pick a different engine or
look into simplifying my ideas and write my own simple engine. I'll have to
see. Having the opinion that all people who use 3rd party engines must be
bad programmers is a hilarious simplification of the problem of making
Indie/hobby games.

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Viktor Anely <viktoran...@outlook.com>wrote:

> Valve hasn't developed anything new since Mike Harrington left the
> company. Gabe can't stand the thought of working with people smarter than
> himself, thus, the current group of retards that work for valve. Simply
> opening the same old source code in the latest version of visual studio and
> recompiling isn't a new version,  it's the same old software. So basically
> they have been reselling the same version of the quake engine since 1996.
>
> Steam isn't going to cut it and valve will ultimately fail. Even razer is
> getting in on the gamer community action with their new razer comms
> software. I have to laugh at all the dumbasses that thought it was a great
> idea to let a private corporation keep all the installation files for
> software they purchased. Have fun on the day valve pulls the nic cables
> from the switches.
>
> The only security for mod/game developers is to code their own game
> engines and tools. But alas, all the kiddie-coders of this generation don't
> have a clue about actually doing that, so they will ultimately try to
> crowbar games out of 3rd party engines like cryo and unreal. And the gamer
> community will be stuck playing the same games with different flavors of
> graphics and such.
>
> It's a crying shame what valve has done. I wish good ol' Mike would just
> start a new game-ware company and put the final nails in the valves coffin.
>
> This message isn't to troll the group it's a wake up call to all the
> people that made the community great and the games better. Stop wasting
> your time trying to use this valve garbage and keep re-fixing all the stuff
> they break with every update. Start learning to code, and apply your know
> how to something you can actually control.
>
> that is all, have a nice day.

Jesse