From: "Gigabit Nick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlds@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 4:28 PM
Subject: RE: [hlds] Feature request: sv_serverdomain

I know what you mean about taking some time off. I took two years out but
felt I wanted to get back to technology because I'm a geek at heart and
enjoy the fast change. I also wanted to do something more productive than
just messing around and seeing the world.

I don't agree with what you say about life being a game though, a game you
can pause, restart, and do what you want. Life on the other hand affects
others permanently, can't be stopped, and doesn't always go your way.
I can understand why you took the easy route and went to work for someone
else, it's a big challenge setting up for yourself, and some people just
aren't cut out to do it. But if you're fortunate and you have other people
working for you, then you get to take months off instead of planning what to
do with those precious few annual leave weeks, you get to work wherever in
the world you want (who knows, you may own a house in another country, or
two, or three,....), and you're comfortable knowing you've got private
insurance in the countries where you spend a lot of you time. All the time
you also know that there's someone who may be just as talented as you but
isn't up to taking the risk to set up on their own so you pay them look
after things, give them a few weeks annual vacation, medical package, you
know the thing.Unfortunatley my wife and I spend most of the summer in our
place in Barbados, so I won't be around for the TT, but have a nice time.

Now, maybe we can get back to talking about games....

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [hlds] Feature request:
sv_serverdomain> To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007
13:25:02 -0800> > Shame that. Working and all. But hey, your choice.> > I
took about three years off and did nothing of any consequence. Didn't even
look at a router prompt. Took up racing motorcycles and ran tracks like
Sears Point, Laguna Seca, Willow Springs... Had a blast. There is far more
to life than work and internet tubes.> > I could have dumped my money into
starting my own venture, but I'm glad I didn't. I'm a better person for
going outside and interacting with the real world. These days I'd rather
work for someone else who's willing to pay me well, give me a nice healthy
medical package, and time off... so I can continue to race F1 sidecars
with the wife on the Superside America circuit.> > Life much like Steam's
software, is just a game. And you have the choice of spending all your
days tweaking and configuring the back end... or actually getting on the
client side and enjoying the in game experience.> > Al: The Race WTCC demo
over the weekend was a blast. I purchased it, bought a momo wheel
yesterday, and set up a server here stateside since it seems 98% of the
Race dedicated servers are on the other side of the pond.> > You don't
seem like a bad guy Nick, maybe we can have a spot of tea when I'm over
for the 100 year at the Isle of Man.> > -Mike-> > ~~~~> -Mike- is: Biker ~
Slacker ~ Iconoclast ~ Eclectic Thinker> > ----- Original Message ---->
From: Gigabit Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> To:
hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:17:22 PM>
Subject: RE: [hlds] Feature request: sv_serverdomain> > --> [ Picked
text/plain from multipart/alternative ]> So the Japanese, having a culture
built on service and severe social and legal penalties for not delivering
have been spending $50 a month for unreliable service, so either you're
wrong or the Japanese have changed their culture, I know which one my
moneys on.> > I know about the cash glut of the late 90's and around 2000.
How do you think I now own a software development company which sells
security software to people like Unisys, Fujitsu, IBM, etc., etc. I did
very well out of that period as well by writing the main GUI for set top
boxes (which included Email in about 1994), developing the provisioning
software for ISPs and CableCos, and doing the odd bit of troubleshooting
for large corporates, but instead of just going off to another job I
decided to invest in something that I enjoy and keeps me occupied, and
it's paid off nicely.> > I look forward to seeing your current business
card.> > > > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [hlds]
Feature request: sv_serverdomain> To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:24:53 -0800> > Ahh yes, the AARIS trials.> > > > I'll
buy it when I see it in production and stable. You know Nick, just>
because you get the hand-me-down technology from the colonies does not
mean it's> on todays cutting edge. Take for example, pushing 100mb over
HFC. Hip back> around 1999, and deemed far too unstable given the current
evolution of> deployed cable infrastructure technology, which evolves at a
much slower rate> than traditional IP network infrastructure. But why
knows, maybe AARIS got their buggy vaporware sorted out. Doubt it.> >
Obviously you don't know your history, Nick. @Home Network was founded
around 1994 with the intent of taking a then defunct military technology
of IP over Hybrid Fiber Coax (the 'cable modem') and with partnerships
with major cable providers bringing the technology to market to the
general consumer. (hi, I was there, worked on that bit) We built a huge
backbone infrastructure just to carry the amount of traffic the new
'broadband' technology would be pushing to the exchanges (AS6172, hi
again, helped engineer it) During the life of the company, we took over
canada, hopped the pond into Europe, (@Home Benelux/Chello, hi there, was
there for that) and was a smashing success, the UK... you name it. The sun
never set on the @Home empire.> > Those of us on the original team made
stupid money, Nick... wish you could have been there. There are good
chunks of the late 90's that are just 'Scene Missing' in my memory thanks
to loads of stock money. We pulled our golden parachutes around 2000 and
bailed, this was when AT&T took over and diced all of @Home up into
components and sold it off. This is why the URL on the business card does
not resolve. The company is defunct.> > Warning game related content: I
hosted a stack of FPS servers from the rack in the NOC the entire time, it
was grand.> > A current business card I do not have handy, never bothered
to order them. I will tell you I head up Operations for a rather large
search engine. We have an AS, we have a substantial presence in a
datacenter very close to MAE West, and we were recelenty featured on
MSNBC, the Wall Street Journal, etc...> > Cheers, Nick.> > ~~~~> -Mike-
is: Biker ~> Slacker ~ Iconoclast ~ Eclectic Thinker> ----- Original
Message ----> From: Gigabit Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> To:
hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:58:39 AM>
text/plain from multipart/alternative ]> You know the US ain't the only
place in the world...> >
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/10/ntl_trial/> > And that was nearly
a year ago, so my guess is you don't have the best cable tech money can
buy GLOBALLY.> > If you want to talk about real world deployments, read
http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnunet/news/2152621/asia-moves-beyond-broadband?page=2
which says> > "Many Japanese urban residents, for example, have enjoyed
$50 per month 100Mbps fibre connections for several years."> I don't have
cable internet myself, but I doubt you personally would be responsible for
it if I did (but it's nice to know your level of modesty, are your related
to Al Gore?). Also try getting your ISP to advertise the average speed as
opposed to peak theoretical throughput, I've yet to come accross an ISP
salesman that says "We can offer you a connection which averages
23MB/s!!!!".> > Now lets get back to talking about HL2....> > (P.S. If
you're going to post your business card, why not post the current one, not
one where the URL resolves to a website that's now a link site offering
"The Best Real Estate Sources on the Web", and can be easily faked.)> > >
 > > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [hlds] Feature request:
sv_serverdomain> To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007
00:29:15 -0800> > I don't know, Nick...> > http://moike.net/proof.jpg> >
...you tell me.> > It's no small thanks to me back in the early 90's that
you -have- cable internet.> > 100mb my ass. I've got the best cable
technology has to offer right now piped steaming hot directly to the seven
foot telco rack of hardware in my house and it still averages 24mb down
and about 3 on the upstream. And that's with me 'juiced up' given who -I-
am. But I still get a /29. Any schmuck who's willing to pay for a business
grade ip dialtone over cable can get static addresses.> > -Mike->
~~~~> -Mike- is: Biker ~ Slacker ~ Iconoclast ~ Eclectic Thinker>>