Having rocks in your head would help. Knowing a bit or two about
computers would also help, but in a different and hopefully more
satisfying manner.

For instance: If RAM were the bottleneck for a given app, then running
it in an emulated environment where the environment itself doesn't
expend all resources may be a good idea. Windows typically uses more RAM
than Linux, and so it is quite possible that a Windows-app which meets
memory constraints in Windows may perform better in Linux on the same
machine. An emulation layer has to be a real piece of crap to be worse
than using swap.

Oh, and by the way: WINE, Wine Is Not an Emulator. So there ;)

Cheers,
Einar