At 11:38 PM 4/29/2008, Nephyrin Zey wrote:
>Dear VALVe:
>
>With the newest patch, my dual core 2.4GHz conroe xeon can no longer
>run a server on each core. Because the game still doesn't support
>multithreading, this means i can't run servers at all without maxing
>out a core. With 32-players on the server the FPS drops below 100 and
>while it still is smooth, I'm one patch away from not being able to
>run a single 32-slot server on a dual core xeon. This is absurd. When
>I started this box I was averaging like 70% per core, ~80% with
>sourcetv+autorecord. Now its at like 95% and my load average is
>hovering slightly above 2.0

It looks like it does support threading; but not what you think. All
server I/O is processed by 1 thread, and the other thread is VAC?.

>Please, please, please work on server performance. There is no reason
>this much power should be required. Simple tweaks like fixing the way
>overuse of expensive kernel calls (gettimeofday, etc.), improving the
>obscenely stupid frame/tick system scheduling, etc, would yield
>massive benefits. If the next patch furthers the cpu usage increasing
>trend, I *will* be taking my servers offline, as I'm not upgrading
>(again) to keep up with bloat.

Source on windows does not use gettimeofday; that is *NIX only.
System calls, generally, are expensive. Windows 2003 uses PIT/ACPI to
drive clocks, which
effects things like sleep(). I think Sleep() on windows is expensive
to call because calling Sleep() reads the PIT/ACPI, which requires an
ioport read, which is very expensive.. I'm not sure on this; but that
would explain why I see so much jitter from sleep() calls

Windows 2008 uses HPET to service interrupts and timing, and it's
faster than the former.

Gary Stanley - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~gary

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour.
  Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute.
THAT'S relativity."  - Albert Einstein