That thought process is why we are where we are now. Valve doesn't trust
community servers to police the community beyond their own nose. They tried
to trust us for years and nothing happened. Terrible servers and shitty
communities ran rampant, and it was the duty of the community to try and
stop them, especially if the community wants to turn around and screech
like a howler monkey that Valve OWES you something because we're the
LIFEBLOOD and we're the reason they exist yadda yadda.

Valve put the game in our hands, and no one did a damn thing about the
health of the game on the whole until it affected them, personally. Only
then did the persecution complex kick into high gear, and we busted out the
crack theories that Valve has specific anti community people who secretly
move against you instead of, you know, just fucking striking you from the
server list like an actual Valve employee would do. Any one server owner is
not important enough to even entertain the paranoia theories abound here.

There is one group responsible for the state of the tf2 community, and its
the tf2 community.