Here's a little interesting take on this (Not directed at anybody in particular, just at the concept in general)...

There are some Bad Apples amongst the community server folks. Community servers were meant to enhance the game experience for the players. Instead we have operators whose only goal is to drag in as many clients as possible for their ad impression, even if it's "cheating" both the players and ad company by playing ads invisibly in the background.

While there were many good servers out there too, the bad servers grew in number until the situation became untenable. Extra things were done by Valve to try to stem the flow of Greedy Little Server Operators and all their methods of trying to cheat the system. What should have been a case of good servers thriving and bad servers dying became the opposite. The cheating scumbags were the ones thriving and so - from the player perspective - the game sucked.

Because of all the worms and bugs living in the apple barrel, Valve had to do what it did. They -are- a business, which means that yes, their goal is to make money, and yes, if the community servers were preventing that, then action would be taken. And it was. And the whining and groaning was heard by many of the worms who could no longer feast on ad impressions.

Now, mind you, not all of the whining was heard by worms. Some legitimate, quality server operators had trouble too. However the end result is simple:

Nobody should be running a community server to try to make a profit. If they are doing so, they have to realize that it's officially a business and may fail. Bad business plan? Crappy user experience? Not interesting enough to hold users' attention? *Poof!* Bye! As long as the net result to Valve from community servers is negative, they will not fix it.

From the cynical side, the people who are doing just fine with their community servers are sitting back and thrilled that the worms are suffering. They're seeing people saying "OMG! IMMA SHUT DOWN MAH SERVER!" and laughing that these people think Valve care. If the server does not create a positive experience and bring Valve money, then why in the world should Valve care? They are not here to create free ways for people to make an income. So, from the cynical side, please, stop whining about how you'll shut down your servers. Shut them down and begone. Let the people who are doing fine live in peace from the inanely incessant prattle, assuming they are even on this list when they are doing fine.

From the pragmatic side: If the server costs you too much money and you don't want to spend it, then don't. You don't owe Valve the server and they don't owe you anything either. Since you're not getting a bone from them, stop hurting yourself and your pocketbook. Shut down. Move on. There is a great big world out there and you should be awesome enough to stop beating your head against a brick wall.

TL;DR version:
Don't say that you're going to quit. Just do it. Don't cling to false hopes. Move on. Be happier.

Good luck to all.