I don't see how Valve will ever care about community servers, or add any changes to balance the odds and manage bad communities. Otherwise they wouldn't have introduced certain changes and/or would have accepted one of the many discussed ways of improving the situation.

Argument has been made that Valve is a "business". I disagree. A business would ever so try to maximize their profit. If you look at Valve's history, almost all games were community games or adopted third party mods. If they were interested in more and more profit, they would at least consider keeping the grounds alive that let their future product emerge and grow.

If you supply a fix for a bug that would save Valve tons of money, you get a hat of 0 worth. I disagree if anyone says it has a value as a token, an item of mutual respect.

One could say that Valve is a business because they don't care about their customers long-term. I disagree. If Valve does anything, in my opinion it is because it is designed to be a cluttered company where everyone can do whatever they like. It's an anarchy and madness that exceeded the bounds of creativity long ago. Otherwise they wouldn't have to rely on others to supply them content.

A moment of deep disappointment, then I'm just moving on and doing my thing. I'm sure others think the same. Mind you Valve, at some point you will have disgruntled so many of your supporters that their helpful exploit-reporting might just develop into hatred and frustration. If someone like Nathaniel would show them the finger, they would have a huge problem. And probably someone will at some point because this will go on and on.

To McKay:
GJ reminding the mailing list of that response. Few good reads so far. In the sense that they're repetitive and sometimes entertaining, ofc.