yeah, I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I would imagine there is a good
possibility that the amd64 support is so new, and everyone seems to be doing
their own thing, that performance may vary between distros possibly...

who knows.   Valve were pretty clear about getting awesome performance
differences on them before, the only reason I think that.

kev